Lesson for Life: February 10th Dialogue Groups: February 10th – 16th
Recommended Reading from Happiness Now: “Happy Already,” Pages 1-36
Questions for Discussion:
The following are fundamental questions from Holden that can help us to identify our happiness:
1) What helps you to remember your truth?
2) What helps you to love?
3) What helps you to be real?
4) What helps you to be free?
5) When you look across these answers, what patterns are there in the moments where you have truly experienced happiness?
4 Main Sermon Points:
1) Western psychology has been built around the search for answers to our problems, what ails us. Recently a new focus has emerged – that of the Psychology of Happiness
2) The movement speaks to “love over fear,” “courage over victim,” and most importantly the “living of a happy life.” We move from asking the question “Am I Whole?” to living out the truth that, “I Am Whole.”
3) Holden says that as we prepare to explore Happiness we can be helped by remembering to remember that ‘now’ is the key! What if there was no ‘search’ at all? What if there is nothing to find in terms of an answer that is not already in our selves? What if there is no where to go for our answers except “right here,” wherever we are.
4) What we will discover on our exploration together is that happiness is and always has been inside all of us. We just need to believe it. Happiness has always been available to us regardless of our circumstances. We just need to choose it. And anytime is the right time to begin to be happy. We just need to be it!
Readings and Scriptures in Support of the Lesson for Life/Sermon:
A reading from Robert Holden’s personal journal:
Know love; no fear. Know joy; no pain.
Know light; no darkness. Know wholeness; no dis-ease.
Know now; no past. Know truth; no lies.
Know God; no separation. Know self; no other.
Gospel Reading – John 15:9-11 (from The Message, inclusified)
“I love you the way God loves me. Make yourselves at home in my love. If you follow my ways, you'll remain intimately at home in my love. That's what I've done – followed God’s ways, and made myself at home in love. "I've told you these things for a purpose: that my joy might be your joy, and your joy wholly mature. This is my command: Love one another the way I love you. This is the very best way to love. Put your life on the line for your friends. You are my friends when you do the things I command you. I'm no longer calling you followers because followers don't understand what their leader is thinking and planning. No, I've named you friends because I've let you in on everything I've heard from Love.
To Be Added Soon.